Post and share all your political and economic ideas & solutions. Let's fix what's broken! Join free.

How Do We End The Disgusting Partisan Politics In Government? (Viewed 4409 times)
Standard
Rating: 7
Our Congress has become a bunch of circus clowns (and that's insulting circus clowns)!

Nothing is getting done.

No necessary laws are being passed.

Communication between parties is zilch.

Politicians get on the air ripping the other party's stance.

Spite matches have become the norm.

Our President doesn't talk to The Speaker Of The House.

Senate Majority leader Harry Reid doesn't talk to Senate Minority leader Mitch McConnell. Rumor is they absolutely despise each other.

Lobbyists on each side bribe and influence our politicians to remain firm and not budge on issues or risk losing money and "war chests" for re-election.

Who suffers?

All of us. You and me.

The approval rating for our Congress sits at about 10% yet none of these morons feel any urgency whatsoever. Thanks to gerrymandering of districts, many of them feel their job is safe.

What's the answer? What are your ideas and solutions to end the partisan gridlock and get our representatives to do the people's work again? How much more screwed up do things have to get first?

Founder of USelections.com
Standard
Rating: 3
First order of business: GET MONEY OUT. So long as our politicians have to cater to wealthy special interests to ensure re-election, they won't have any chances to make decisions which favor the American people. We have to ensure politicians are held accountable to the people ALONE, not the people *and* the rich. We have to pass severe and meaningful campaign finance reform as soon as possible before we reach a point of no return - if we haven't already. This would ideally involve banning political advertisements and creating a public system which makes it easy to look through the platforms of all available candidates in all current races. They could partner with isidewith.com for this.

After that, we would have to eliminate gerrymandering by assigning redistricting duties to an independent commission which would ensure that district lines are drawn to maximize the voice of all political demographics without favoring one over another. This would reverse the problem which gerrymandering created, which was that extreme politicians created more extreme districts, which then voted in even more extreme politicians, many of whom only act extreme out of knowledge that moderates are currently unelectable.
Standard
I couldn't agree more!

Unfortunately, getting money out of politics is going to be harder since the Supreme Court, in their infinite stupidity, ruled poorly in Citizens United vs. Federal Election Commission (2010). For those unfamiliar with the decision (click here), it basically allows special-interest “dark money” and super-political action committee cash to inundate the political system. It also says that government cannot block corporate political spending because a corporation is simply an association of citizens with free-speech rights, “an association that has taken on the corporate form,” as Kennedy put it.

Ultimately, we are going to need new representatives in office to get the money out. I don't see the current bunch of stalwarts budging on the issue.

Which leads to gerrymandering. What an outright sham. Only 8% of the people approve of our Congress, yet the vast majority of these bozos will be re-elected. No incentive for them to change a thing.

What a disappointment. Yet, the average American isn't yet pissed off enough for us all to stand up and demand change.

It will happen. Just a matter of when.

Standard
Rating: 3
It gets worse when we see how badly gerrymandering separates the popular vote from the electoral vote. With the system as it is now, it's possible for a president to be elected with just 21.8% of the popular vote, according to the math done by Jesse Ruderman way back in 2004.

There's currently a constitutional amendment under way to resolve this, known as the National Popular Vote plan. Its details are laid out at FairVote.org, and it basically means that once enough states have passed NPV bills that their collective electoral votes equal or exceed 270, it takes effect, and the nationally available popular vote statistics are then the sole factor deciding which candidate those states vote for. Because it's centered around the states, rather than congress, it actually has a chance of passing. Quite lucky for us!

There's another constitutional amendment making rounds to overturn Citizens United and Brown v. FEC, but I don't know what kind of progress it's making. Ratifying a constitutional amendment purely from the states' direction is unheard of, but it's still likely our best shot at reversing that decision. Alternatively, there's the Mayday PAC established by Lawrence Lessig, which is, as he puts it, "A Super PAC to end all Super PACs." It obviously can't compare to the endless torrents of money that the Kochs have available to them, but it's something.

If NPV takes off, the next step to reforming the election process would be the Alternative Vote, also known as "instant runoff voting", which is where people number desired candidates based on first, second, third (etc.) choices. The advantage of this form of voting is that it frees up individuals to show support for who they really want elected, without sacrificing their ability to vote strategically. It's explained in this excellent video by the brilliant CGPGrey. So far, only a few cities in the US have implemented the Alternative Vote, but I have no doubt that if it could receive more widespread attention, it would garner significant public support. I think currently, the National Popular Vote has the greatest chance of success, but it's still just one very small step.
Standard
Rating: 1

I think you are both totally right!  I think the problem is having leadership strong enough to affect what you suggest and more.  IMHO, we desperately need a president who is independent and tough as nails about following a centrist/pragmatic approach to governance.  That president should reject the extreme bases of both parties and any party platform or opinion based on ideology or narrowly tailored moral benchmarks.  This president would favor nor align with either party.  He/she would remain truly independent.  The platform for all should be based on what I read right here on this site http://www.uselections.com/ideology/moderate.shtml

This president would call in the leaders of congress and lay down the law that the extremes from here on are center-left and center-right.  What you guys suggested in your posts would be part of his/her agenda, but he/she would wisely endlessly dog (and cheerlead) legislators to contribute to the brainstorming.  Any lobbying, obstruction, refusal to participate, or failure to seek consensus and compromise would be attacked viciously with a populist campaign against those engaging in such; literally to campaign to have their constituents vote them out of office. They would be incessantly hammered and shamed publically, rallying a populist outcry against them. There is a balanced compromise on all things, and such a president must lead legislators, the judicial, and the public to find it.

Such a person would have to possess extraordinary charisma, substance, poise, and tireless determination if they are to garner a populist wave of support for his/her platform and election. Using a populist campaign approach to rally the people to this type of governance could catch on with all demographics.  Once in office, the president could use this populist support as leverage against politicians who try to cling to their power and partisan agendas.  There will be one agenda: balanced, reasonable, efficient, pragmatic, constitutional governance for all the country.  Get on board or get out.  My $.02 worth.

Where do we find this person?

Standard

Bravo. Well thought out and written.

That's the ideal person.

Will that person please stand up!

Boost Your MOTIVATION & SUCCESS
Enter our upbeat realm of self-help & personal developmentLive better. Be happier. Start now.
The K.I.S.S. Method Works
Enter our intimate realm of love and relationships. Feel more desirable & confident now.
FREE $200. A Gift From Me.
Save up to $200 at over 1 MILLION hotels and resorts. Activate now. Use later. Get one here.