Post and share all your political and economic ideas & solutions. Let's fix what's broken! Join free.

How Do We Get Money Out Of Politics? (Viewed 5237 times)
Standard
Rating: 7
It's no secret that our politicians locally, at the state level and in Washington DC are bought and paid for by corporations and big money.

Recent court rulings have opened the flood gates for private money and super PAC's to go nuts and support the candidates or incumbents of their choice. In the last presidential election alone, some contributions were in the TENS and even HUNDREDS of millions of dollars.

The frustration and level of anger in you and I has become palpable. There is a desperate urge and need to do something, yet our politicians have no interest in changing the status quo. It's making most people believe that there is nothing we can do but let it continue.

I find it utterly distasteful that politicians admit to spending 40-60 hours per week asking or begging for campaign contributions just to fill their "war chests" to compete with their rivals. The fact that they don't see any incentive to change the status quo and go back to simply representing the people makes me cringe.

What's worse is that they won't admit that by taking this money, they are at the mercy of the donor or super PAC's wishes. They state the opposite, which is absurd. They must think we are stupid.

I read the other day that there is now a "Super PAC to End All Super PACs." This goal of this super PAC, MayOne, is to change the corrupted system by which politicians now raise money for their campaigns.

How ironic. To get money out of politics, reformers must raise money of their own. Ugh!

There has got to be a better, more effective way to get money out of politics. It's corrupting our system, grid locking our politicians and screwing up our country.

What is the solution? Add your ideas and thoughts below as to how to solve this problem. How do we remove money from politics before it destroys us all?

Founder of USelections.com
Standard
Re: How Do We Get Money Out Of Politics?
Reply #1 Posted on October 14, 2014

A shareholder solution to ‘Citizens United’

By Jamie B. Raskin

"Our best hope for change is with the state governments that regulate corporate entities throughout the year and receive regular filings from them. I am introducing legislation in January that will require managers of Maryland-registered corporations who wish to engage in political spending for their shareholders to post all political expenditures on company Web sites within 48 hours and confirm that any political spending fairly reflects the explicit preference of shareholders owning a majority interest in the company.

Further, if no “majority will” of the shareholders can form to spend money for political candidates — because most shares are owned by institutions forbidden to participate in partisan campaigns — then the corporation will be prohibited from using its resources on political campaigns."

Read the entire piece - Washington Post - click here.
Standard
Rating: 0
Reply #2 Posted on November 03, 2014
The paradox and irony of getting money out of politics is that you need politicians to legislate the changes; you have a better chance, of asking a Mama Bear for her cub while you are trapped in the cave.  The only possible alternative is to produce a 'ground roots' movement that would ignite the 'initiative & referendum' process so that the legislation would be debated on the Congressional Floor; once again, seeking common sense from the fox who guards the hen house.
Standard
Reply #3 Posted on April 20, 2015

How much do the 1% of the 1% control politics?

The elite takeover of American politics.

"In 1980, this elite segment of the population contributed a total of 16% of all campaign contributions. Today, it’s over 40% and heading towards 50%. Yes, already, close to HALF the money in American politics is coming from 0.01% of the richest people - that's just over 30,000 compared to nearly 150 million registered voters."

https://www.crowdpac.com/blog/the-1-percent-of-the-1-percent

This is completely absurd and getting worse, not better!

Our representatives aren't going to make the necessary changes to give YOU and I a voice. They spend 40+ hours a week on the phone begging for all the money that can hoard.

What options do we have?

Post your thoughts, ideas and solutions below...
Standard
Reply #4 Posted on April 25, 2015

Campaign Finance Law / Reform For Dummies (In Less Than 4 Minutes):

Standard
Reply #5 Posted on July 25, 2015

How To Fight Big Money and Empower People.

12 Major U.S. Public Interest Organizations Release Campaign Finance Reform Agenda.

This document, called “Fighting Big Money, Empowering People: An 21st Century Democracy Agenda,” asks candidates to commit to five principles:

(1) everyone participates;

(2) everyone’s voice is heard;

(3) everyone knows who is trying to influence our views and our representatives;

(4) everyone plays by fair, common-sense rules; and

(5) everyone is held accountable, with enforceable penalties to deter bad behavior.

It's a good start. Read it. Click here for the complete PDF document.

Click here for more information on this agenda (The Intercept: The Movement to Fight Big Money Politics Now Has a Gold Standard).

Boost Your MOTIVATION & SUCCESS
Enter our upbeat realm of self-help & personal developmentLive better. Be happier. Start now.
The K.I.S.S. Method Works
Enter our intimate realm of love and relationships. Feel more desirable & confident now.
FREE $200. A Gift From Me.
Save up to $200 at over 1 MILLION hotels and resorts. Activate now. Use later. Get one here.